Boxes of Cheer to Help People Locally this Holiday
By Laura Churchill Duke
For the second year, this holiday season you can fill a box of cheer for people in need right here in Kings County. Valley Family Fun and the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) have paired up to create a program called Fill a Box of Cheer: The Local Option.
“There are many adults in need locally who often don’t qualify for support through traditional programs,” says Candy O’Brien of CMHA, “such as any targeted towards family and children.” This is a way to reach more people.
To participate, start with any sized box and fill it with a combination of any of the following items for adults:
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, deodorant, shampoo, body wash, small packs of tissues, feminine hygiene products, razors
- Clothing: socks, slippers, gloves, hats, mittens
- Stationery: pencils, pens, notebook, coloured pencils, markers
- Gifts: instant coffee, mug, food gift cards, candy, gum, cards, adult colouring books
“We will also take donations of random items so we can build boxes ourselves from the donations,” explains O‘Brien. Gift wrap, blank Christmas cards and scotch tape are also needed.
Filled, unwrapped boxes can be dropped at any of the following locations:
- Berwick Recreation Department, 236 Commercial Street (Berwick Town Hall)
- Kentville Town Hall, 354 Main Street
- Lotto Booth, County Fair Mall, New Minas
- Louis Millet Community Complex, 9489 Commercial Street, New Minas
- Port Williams Village Office, 1045 Main Street, Port Williams
- Wolfville Town Hall, 359 Main St, Wolfville
This year, supplies will be stored at the County Fair Mall in New Minas. Hours to drop items at the mall will be posted on the Facebook page, Fill a Box of Cheer Annapolis Valley, or can be found by emailing email@example.com.
The boxes will be divided equally between Kings County organizations including Canadian Mental Health Association, Chrysalis House, the Youth Portal, the Evangeline Club, Kids Action Program and the St. Vincent and St. Paul’s Society. If you know an adult that lives in isolation you wish them to receive a box of cheer contact Candy at 902-679-7573.
The deadline for box submissions is November 30.
For more information, contact Candy at 902-679-7573 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.