Day Trips around the Valley
By Laura Churchill Duke
Our family is a huge fan of taking day trips. I love doing research and finding as many things in an area as we can pack into a one day outing! My specialty is finding museums, walks, and adventures off the beaten path. You can be guaranteed these trips will involve stopping for an ice cream! Here are a few of our family-friendly favourites organized by community. More information about all of these places can be found on the Valley Family Fun website by using the search bar in the top right corner.
- Windsor/Hantsport – Visit Oulton’s Agrizoo near Martock, and then go for a swim at flat rock.
- Annapolis Royal – Stop to smell the flowers at the Historic Gardens and then take a walk around the French Basin marsh, and finish up by visiting the tidal power museum to learn about the power of the tides.
- Fundy shore – Take a hike to the Carolina shipwreck monument and Baxter’s Harbour, and end the night by visiting the fairy cottages and having a bonfire at Huntington Point near Hall’s Harbour.
- Middleton – Start the morning with a free kayak along the river, then visit both the Macdonald Museum and the Middleton Railway Museum. Don’t forget to visit the Rotary Park to play in the splash pad when you are all done for the day!
- Greenwood/Kingston – Head up behind Greenwood to stop at McMaster Mills to have a picnic, then head slightly down the road and walk the trail to Crystal Falls. Jump in the water to have a swim at the falls! On your way back, stop in Kingston at the duck pond park to test your abilities along the fitness trail.